Food for Thought

We are 2 best friends and amateur chefs, on either side of an ocean, with a common love for all things food. This blog will chronicle our respective food journeys, recipes, tips and tricks, links, ideas and basically anything else to do with food on both sides of The World - showing how they are influenced by our countries and each other.

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Food for Thought: Supermarket Vegetables

Does anyone out there know if the almighty Tesco has changed their veg supplier or something recently?

I always prefer, where possible, to get my fruit and veg fresh from a local grocer, but in my old house it just was not possible. I eventually found that the vegetables from Tesco, the nearest supermarket, were in fact pretty decent quality.



However, this appears to have changed over recent weeks. The potatoes in particular have been awful - throwing away more per bag than I actually used has become all too common. Not had great luck with their leeks and onions either, and despite it being in season at the time I haven't been able to get rhubarb OR celeriac there. 


A trip to my local Sainsburys has sorted out all of these problems, including the sourcing one. The quality now appears to be noticeably higher which was never the case before when I had compared the 2.


Just a note to Tesco I guess - a little quality control goes a long way... You may not care about the shopping needs of one man, but this one man happens to have a food blog. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

1 comment:

  1. My pet hate has to be potatoes not keeping more than a day or two! It's blimmin' expensive!

    Also a good way to save money is hit the supemarkets around 7pm til closing (granted not as easy now most are 24 hours!) - I've many a time picked up fruit or veg for as little as 2p in Asda!

    Also they seem to sell off any leftovers from the rostisserie for next to nothing too! A cooked chicken can be as little as £1 or so if you're lucky!

    Another thing is don't presume items on the 'reduced' shelf are cheaper....yes something that is £1.98 may be down to £1.50 but elsewhere it may be available for 2 for £3 anyway - thus making them the same price for fresher stuff.

    Lastly....always shop around....it may seem wasteful petrol wise but it can still save a lot. Aldi and Lidl do fantastic cooked meats that are significantly cheaper than the major supermarkets and last well too.

    ReplyDelete