Food for Thought

We are 2 best friends and amateur chefs, on either side of an ocean, with a common love for all things food. This blog will chronicle our respective food journeys, recipes, tips and tricks, links, ideas and basically anything else to do with food on both sides of The World - showing how they are influenced by our countries and each other.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Pizza Bases

So after making a few soda bread loaves and a nice white loaf for my parents who both have flu, I decided it was pizza for tea.  I wanted to try the pizza base recipe in my River Cottage Handbook (an absolutely fantastic book if you are considering joining me on this journey), its a pretty simple recipe, but as with everything, you never quite know the first time around how it will turn out.

It worked a treat, what a difference in taste between that and the store bought bases!  It was a little thick (completely down to me not rolling it thin enough) but I can safely say its going to be a long time until I buy a pizza base again!

I made them again tonight, this time I divided the dough into 4 and it was much better, and I have half of the dough for tomorrow, I might make a garlic pizza or something to go with dinner.

The recipe is below, give it a try, I promise you will not be disappointed!

Pizza Bases
makes 4 large thin bases.

Ingredients:
500g white plain flour
5g dried yeast
10g salt
325ml warm water
1 tbsp olive oil.

Method:
  1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Add water and mix with your hand to form a rough dough.
  3. Add in olive oil.
  4. Knead by hand until dough is smooth and elastic, should take between 10-15 minutes depending on your kneading style and speed.  Or about 10 minutes in a mixer with a dough hook on low.
  5. Leave on a floured board for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
  6. During this time preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius with your tray (or baking stone) inside.
  7. Cut into quarters (halves for a thicker base) and roll flat.
  8. Transfer to tray and add whatever toppings you like.
  9. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the base is crispy.
I am going to provide some links below for some great kneading advice, I think its a lot better if you see what an expert says as I am still very much a novice.  Some exciting news is that I am attending a 'Bread at Home' course at a local artisan bakery on the 27th of August.  I really hope you are all enjoying my journey so far, and hopefully some of you have decided to join me!!

Pizza Dough Tips
Step-by-Step Kneading

Ant

No comments:

Post a Comment