Food for Thought

We are 2 best friends and amateur chefs, on either side of an ocean, with a common love for all things food. This blog will chronicle our respective food journeys, recipes, tips and tricks, links, ideas and basically anything else to do with food on both sides of The World - showing how they are influenced by our countries and each other.

Monday 23 January 2012

Seafood - Think outside the box.

Just wanted to have a quick natter about seafood.  I love it, I could eat it every day!

The variety you can get from the ocean is immense, fish, prawns, crabs, lobsters, scallops these are just a few of the things that any good fish monger will have.

But then you have the things that alot of people look at and move right past as they are a bit put off by it, the one I see most often is Octopus.  On my recent trip to the Sydney Fish Markets I often heard people saying things like 'gross' and 'eewww' at the octopus, not fair in my book.  I love Octopus, I usually buy the baby ones and marinade them in a simple marinade of, crushed garlic, red wine and a splash of olive oil.  Sometimes I throw a chopped chili in as well.  You have to cook octopus quickly, it really can toughen up but in my opinion it is the nicest meat in our ocean.  If you get a BBQ nice and hot, grill them tentacle down first on a high heat and they will go crispy and add an amazing texture.  You can also eat it raw, buy a larger one and cut very thin slices off the legs and have it sashimi style with a bit of lemon juice, beautiful!

So next time you go to the markets or the fish mongers, get something you have never tried before, it may just end up your favourite food in the whole world, don't be afriad to 'break the rules' and not just get a piece of fish and some prawns!!

Ant

No comments:

Post a Comment